Thursday, August 27, 2015

Why Not Today?


Someday I will lose this extra weight.  Someday I will write a book.  Someday I will backpack trough Europe.  Someday I will live on the beach.  Someday I will work for myself.  Someday I will run that marathon I’ve been eyeballing.  Someday I will be able to hold a hand stand without falling down.  Someday I will have a home in the mountains.  Someday I will be satisfied with my life.  Someday…

Why not today?
I mean really.  Why not?  Why not make today the day you START working on your “someday”?  We all have dreams and things we want to accomplish.  Big or small, we all have books we want to read, places we want to go, vacations we want to take, people we want to see, weight we want to lose, or jobs we want to have.  We all dream of someday.
You’re not going to be able to read every book that you want. You’ll never have time to watch all of your favorite shows. The house will never be clean enough. There will always be another errand to run. The grass will continue to grow. Everything you buy will need to be dusted, repaired, maintained or disposed of in some way. This is not a critique of any lack of organizational skills on your part, or a reason to give up altogether. Rather, it’s a statement of freedom.”
I came across this passage this morning and it got me thinking.  When we realize that life will still be waiting for us tomorrow, it allows us the freedom to make today count as much as possible.  Someday can be RIGHT NOW, if you let it.

Get comfortable with saying NO to things that don’t help you work towards your someday.  Get comfortable with saying YES and digging in to anything and everything that is along the path you want to travel.  If you want a better job, stop spending your free time binge watching The Walking Dead and start building your skills to make you more marketable.  If you want to run a faster mile, stop being satisfied with your current work out and start adding speed work.  If you want to work for yourself, stop using ALL of your energy on other things and start building a foundation that will allow you to truly find that freedom.  Challenge yourself.  Take a good, hard look at what’s deep inside you.  Ask yourself – what do I want?  What is my someday?
Once you have it figured out, start working towards it.  Stop waiting until the timing is perfect, because it will never be perfect.  Let me say that again – STOP WAITING ON PERFECT TIMING.  Rather, start working on you, your dreams, your goals, and make your someday a reality.

I’m on the same journey you are, but I’m working hard on making my someday a reality today.

No comments:

Post a Comment