Monday, September 14, 2015

Slower Pace


Ever feel like you are right where you were meant to be?  The stars all aligned, you had a restful night, full of perfectly uninterrupted sleep, rocked your morning workout, made it to work early, killed the day, you came home with some leftover pep in your step, and your kids told you how awesome you were.

I just spent 6 days on these white sandy beaches and can say, I felt like I was right where I was supposed to be.  My littlest (she's 4) joined me on some of my morning runs.  We covered miles, discussed the finer things in life (if Elsa was better than Cinderella, if I thought our cat missed us, if she could go swimming forever and never go to sleep...), and enjoyed a sunrise or two.  Pushing that little lady slowed my pace in more ways than one.

Wait, do stroller miles count differently?!  They have to, right?

 
 

I was reminded that sometimes we just need to slow down in order to see how perfect things truly are.  Trying so hard to increase my mileage, build more muscle, be a better mommy, runner, wife, and manager, left me a little less than fulfilled. 

Running with her reminded me that we should take the time to smell the roses.  Even if they make you sneeze a little.  And it's totally okay to get sand in your running shoes.  Slowing my pace allowed me to see some pretty remarkable sunrises, beautiful beach homes, humming birds, flowers, seagulls, white sands, and ocean waves.  It also allowed me to have some serious mommy-daughter bonding moments.

  
 
She ditched me on the last two mornings.  Something about being able to sleep in with her Nanny became more appealing than being up before the sun, I suppose.  I was able to get two incredible runs in.  I ran faster and farther both of those day, than I ever had before.  Who would have thought that by slowing it down to a snail's pace, I would be able to give so much more?!  Okay, probably every expert out there, but I'm no expert.  I'm just a mommy that is finding joy in every step of her journey.
 
The peace I felt was amazing.  Fall crept into the air, the ocean breeze was chilly, my runs felt effortless.  AMAZING!!
 
 
 
Seriously, look at this view - I could have stayed there forever...
 

Instead, I used my weekend to run 26.2 in memory of a very dear friend that is no longer with me.  Sept 10th was Suicide Prevention Day and I wanted to step out of my comfort zone and do something I had never done before in his memory.

What an absolutely amazing vacation - I am beyond thankful that I was able to slow my roll and just enjoy BEING PRESENT!  I think I will carry that mantra with me as I continue my journey...

Until next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment