Total Time: 40 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 25 min.
Yield: 6 servings, 1½ cups each
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
8 oz shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
1 tsp. red chili paste (like sambal oelek)
½ tsp. crushed red pepper
½ cup canned sliced bamboo shoots
¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
4 cups low-sodium organic vegetable broth
14 oz firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
¼ cup rice vinegar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 large egg, lightly beaten
6 fresh cilantro sprigs, leaves removed, stems discarded
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add garlic, ginger, chili paste, red pepper, and bamboo shoots; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add soy sauce and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
5. Add tofu; cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Combine vinegar and cornstarch in a small bowl; mix until smooth.
7. Add cornstarch mixture to soup; cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soup thickens. Remove from heat.
8. Slowly add egg to soup, stirring constantly, so that egg cooks and forms threads.
9. Evenly divide soup between 6 serving bowls; garnish with cilantro.